Wednesday, November 6, 2013

VIII: 14

Chapter 8, Verse 14

"For those whose minds
Are forever focused upon me
With an undistracted mind,
Whose love has grown deep
Through meditation,
I am easy to reach, Arjuna."

Swami Satchidananda:

It's not about sitting in a corner and thinking of him constantly.  Involve yourself in daily activities with the attitude that all you are doing is an offering to him, or feel that everything is being done by him through you as an instrument.  Those are great ways to remember God.  The advantage in remembering God this way is that it doesn't boost the ego.  When you reflect on everything that you do as an act of God, then you won't be thinking...

I did it!  What an amazing accomplishment!!  Goody for me!!!

When action is offered to the higher power, the sense of "I," "me" and "mine" gradually becomes weaker.  This is the thrust of Krishna's...

Forever focused on me with an undistracted mind...

He doesn't mean...

I'm going to be happy because you're thinking of me.

He's saying this for your benefit.  Krishna's message is this...

Know that I'm the one working behind the scenes.  I am the one who sent you here.  I am the one who is going to get you back, and I am the one who is keeping you going every moment.  Even the air goes in and out of you because of me.  Remember this always.

Swami Shivananda:

Remembering God throughout one's life is the easiest way to enter his presence consciously.

Paramahansa Yogananda:

Successful Yogis know the value of regular Sadhana [spiritual practice], by which their lives become an uninterrupted prayer.

Do not practice Yoga mechanically, or from an oppressive sense of duty, but with perpetual zeal and enthusiasm.  This will result in each day's meditation yielding a deeper joy than that of the day before.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails