Thursday, May 16, 2013

VII: 18

Chapter 7, Verse 18

"These four are all noble-minded,
But the wise I see as my very Self.
Calm, untroubled,
With devoted hearts,
They dwell in me,
And I am their Path Supreme."

Swami Shivananda:

Krishna is saying in so many words, "Are not the other three kinds of devotees dear to me?  Of course they are, but the wise are exceedingly dear, because they have steady minds.  They have fixed their minds exclusively on me."

Srila Prabhupada:

In the Srimad Bhagavatam the Lord says, "The devotees are always in my heart, and I am in their hearts.  The devotee does not know anything beyond me, and I also cannot forget the devotees.  There is a very intimate knowledge between me and the pure devotees.  Pure devotees with full knowledge are never out of spiritual touch, and therefore they are very dear to me."

Paramahansa Yogananda:

When a devotee's yearning is deep enough, it brings the rare, loving response from God.  Such a one fulfills God's plan for a unique romance with each Earthling.

Among the four types, the wise who act with dedicated one-pointed devotion are closest to him.  Such as they possess an unconditional love.  They love God without a selfish motive.  There is no business-like arrangement, as in...

"I'll pray to thee, O Lord, provided you give me...[fill in the blanks...health, wealth, etc.]"

Between the wise ones and God there is a deeper exchange, a connection of fathomless love and affection.  This kind of devotion is spontaneous and without reservation.  It is offered with the full faith that the loving Creator takes care of every necessity.  The wise are content with whatsoever the Lord deems best to give or withhold.

When devotees pray for divine communion, if they are hoping in the background of their minds for the bestowal of a favor, it shows that there is still work to be done.  However, when the mind is focused not on gifts but solely on the Giver, there is nothing left to be done.  Then all of the Giver's gifts are added unto them, as Jesus says...

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails